Sep 172015

Having not played the girls from Forfar Falcons for such a long time last night saw our second match against them in three weeks. It was the Reds’ turn to host their opponents on what turned out to be a beautiful night for football -unlike the horrendous day it was on Saturday.

The Reds turned out yet another strong performance as they eventually overcame a fine Falcons side who yet again played some great one touch passing football and who competed to the very end.

Forfar Falcons 16th September 2016

A few recent games has seen the Reds take some time to get going and last night was no difference as the Falcons got the bit between their teeth from the beginning and pressed to open the scoring. The combination of staunch defending from Libby Forster and Sash Craig with AJ Meach in goal proved yet again very difficult to breach. The Reds managed to withstand this early pressure and then turn things around a bit so that they were on the front foot in the attacking sense. The Reds have been very dangerous from set-plays this year and it was from a corner that they took the lead. Kacey McCabe floated a lovely cross right in to the middle of the box and this was met by Aimee Robertson who rose above everyone to bullet the ball home with a lovely header. The Reds went further ahead when Kacey McCabe scored twice in quick succession. her first goal coming when she dribbled across the face of the Forfar defence before firing in a shot that the keeper couldn’t hold. Her second coming when a lobbed ball in to the box was misjudged by the Forfar keeper who let it skid past her and into the net. The keeper appeared to be distracted by Robertson’s  movement towards the ball .

The Falcons pulled a beautiful goal back just before half-time when Lucy powered through the midfield before cracking a fine strike low past AJ Meach. The Falcons went in at half-time with great belief that they would get themselves back level in the second half.

It was the Reds however who scored the next goal and it was Aimee Robertson who yet again got on the end of a Kacey McCabe corner to crack a header past the Falcon’s keeper. The Reds began to stretch the Falcon’s defence, who were being very well marshalled by Melissa – and they went further ahead when Katie Shaw fired in a  drive that took a fortuitous deflection off a Forfar defender and flew past the wrong-footed keeper. Katie scored a second when a lightning break from the Reds freed her to slide the ball in to the net via the far post. Liberty Whyte finished off the scoring when she picked up a through a ball and drove in on goal before passing the ball high into the net. Great goals from four different players tonight.

Cally Taylor picked up a knock to her knee tonight and had to sit out most of the match because of it. Hopefully she will be able to shake it off for Saturday’s game.

Another valuable three points towards the Reds league position and a strong performance against a very good Forfar side.



 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>