Jun 102015

Heads or tails?

Monifieth Reds U13 go into the hat for the 4th round draw of the Scottish Cup after a tense victory on penalties tonight against a very good Real Fife team. The Reds gave a dogged performance this evening and although their passing game was not at its best their determination and will to win eventually pulled them over the line against their opponents from across the River Tay who moved and passed the ball well all night. (Photos – very few, battery flat!)

The match was a very scrappy affair with both teams giving as good as they got for the first 15 minutes but it was the Reds who went ahead when Aimee Robertson was quickest in the box to flick the ball home after Real’s keeper had parried a shot. Undaunted by this Real moved upfield and equalised almost immediately when some lovely one touch passing enabled their striker to go through on goal and pass the ball in to the net. Game on! The Reds then had a ‘goal’ disallowed when the Real keeper spilled an angled drive from Aimee Robertson. It spun on the ground and high above the Real keeper well over the line before she scooped it out but the referee shouted play on and decided not to give the goal. If goal line technology is good enough for the English Premiership then it’s good enough for the U13 girls Scottish Cup! 🙂 After that incident both teams pressed to pull ahead but the match ended up 1 -1 at half-time.

The Reds got their passing game gong at the start of the second half and they pulled ahead when Katie Shaw got on the end of a pass across goal from Liberty Whyte to side foot the ball in to net. The Reds pressed for much of the second half but Real always looked dangerous and they deservedly equalised when one of their players ran through to drive a left foot shot in to the Reds’ net. Now at 2-2 the match could go any way! Although the Reds pressed and pressed they couldn’t quite get that goal to win the tie and in fact it was AJ Meatch who kept her side in the tie at the death when she stopped a drive from close range and then watched it squirm past the post. Phew!!!

The final whistle arrived and it meant that another 30 minutes extra-time had to be played! Both teams again pressed and pressed for the breakthrough however no matter how hard they tried the deadlock could not be broken, 2-2 it was, now penalties!

It was as huge relief to have Kacey McCabe, Liberty Whyte and Libby Forster score their penalties and the rock of AJ Meatch in goal saving three of Real Fife’s penalties meant progress in the cup for the Reds.

Sincere congratulations to the players and coaches from Real Fife who performed admirably this evening. We wish them all the best for the remainder of the season but as for the Reds they await the cup draw for the next round with anticipation.


 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>